Courses of Study 2017-2018 
    Jun 23, 2024  
Courses of Study 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Policies and Procedures

In the School of Hotel Administration .

Transfer Credit Policy

  1. Transfer students are required to complete all degree requirements with a minimum of 60 credits from Cornell University. Thus, a maximum of 60 hours in transfer credit for courses with a grade of ‘C’ or above, may be allowed from other accredited colleges or universities (including credits from advanced placement (AP) and study abroad programs):
    • Transfer credit is not awarded toward HADM Electives.
    • A maximum of 18 credits may transfer toward Core required courses.
    • A maximum of 15 credits may transfer toward Non-HADM Electives, and up to 3 credits may transfer toward First-Year Writing (FWS).
    • A maximum of 24 credits may transfer toward Free Elective degree requirements.
  2. Cornell University does not accept credit for courses sponsored by colleges but taught in the physical high school to high school students, even if the college provides a transcript of such work.
  3. Students who are currently accepted and enrolled at SHA may only transfer in credit toward Non-HADM and Free Elective requirements, with pre-approval from accredited colleges or universities.
  4. AP Credit is generally accepted as Free Elective credit only.

Transfer Credit Process

The registrar of the school manages the transfer credit process in coordination with the faculty.

  1. For 1000- and 2000-level Core courses and Non-HADM or Free elective courses:
    1. Syllabus must cover, at minimum, 80 percent of the material covered in the Cornell/HADM course.
    2. Syllabus uses a standard textbook equivalent to that used in the Cornell/HADM course.
    3. Syllabus includes examinations, writing, projects, or other submitted work, produced individually or collectively, that is roughly as extensive as that required in the equivalent Cornell/HADM course.
    4. Syllabus indicates roughly equivalent meeting hours as are required in the equivalent Cornell/HADM course.
  2. The Freshmen Writing Seminar (FWS) is waived for transfer students with two or more prior semesters at another school or university.  For those transfer students with one prior semester, previous writing coursework must be reviewed by the Knight Institute.
  3. 3000 and 4000 (upper) level HADM courses are not typically accepted.

Foreign Languages

Mastery of a foreign language is particularly desirable for students who are planning careers in the hospitality industry and, hence, there is a second-language requirement for graduation. Further information on foreign language courses at Cornell, and placement in language courses, may be found under “Language Study at Cornell ” and under “Advanced Placement .”

Independent Study and Research

Students may conduct independent studies or research projects in any academic area of the school under the direction of a resident faculty member. Credit is arranged on an individual basis. To enroll in an independent study or research project, students must obtain written permission from the school before the semester add deadline. See HADM 4980 , HADM 4990 , HADM 6980 , or HADM 6990  for more details.

Practice Credit Requirement

As part of degree requirements, undergraduates enrolled in the School of Hotel Administration must fulfill the practice credit requirement and submit verification thereof. Further details are set forth in the Student Handbook for Undergraduates in the School of Hotel Administration.

Part-Time Study

Generally, part-time study is not allowed. Exceptions may be made for employee degree candidates, students who have medical reasons for a reduced schedule, or in other very extenuating circumstances. In no event shall a student be allowed to enroll on a part-time basis during the last semester of study. Further details on part-time study may be found in the school’s student handbook.

Grading System

Letter grades ranging from A+ to F are given to indicate academic performance in each course. These letter grades are assigned a numerical value for each semester average as follows: A is equivalent to 4.0; B to 3.0; C to 2.0; D to 1.0; and F to 0. For good standing, a student must maintain a minimum average of 2.0. A maximum of 4 credits each semester may be taken on a “satisfactory–unsatisfactory” (S–U) basis. Students should be aware that a satisfactory grade is equivalent to a C– or above and an unsatisfactory grade is equivalent to a D+ or lower.

Dean’s List Eligibility:

  • Satisfactory completion of at least 12 credits for a letter grade;
  • No U or F grades in the semester;
  • A semester GPA of 3.3 or better;
  • No more than 25 percent of all students may be included on the Dean’s List. Each semester, the SHA Registrar will notify undergraduate students of the prior year’s upper quartile GPA cutoff;
  • INC grades may be petitioned once the grade is changed. An INC in HADM 4970 (Honors Thesis) is excluded; and
  • If you satisfy these criteria, you will receive written notification from the dean and a notation will be made on your official transcript.