Courses of Study 2012-2013 
    Feb 27, 2024  
Courses of Study 2012-2013 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Degree Programs

In the College of Engineering .


Degrees Offered

Cornell programs in engineering and applied science lead to the degrees of bachelor of science (B.S.), master of engineering (M.Eng.), master of science (M.S.), and doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.).

General academic information concerning the B.S. degree is given under “Undergraduate Study ”. A student can pursue a degree in one of 13 majors. The majors are listed under “Engineering Majors ”.

The Engineering minors are discussed in “Minor Degree Programs - EN ”.

Many students stay a fifth year in the College of Engineering to pursue a professional degree, the master of engineering (M.Eng.) degree. Joint enrollment in the B.S. and M.Eng. degrees is possible for students in their last semester who lack only 1 to 8 credits for the B.S.

M.Eng. degrees are awarded in most of the major areas. In addition, the following M.Eng. degrees are awarded: aerospace engineering, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, engineering mechanics, nuclear engineering, operations research and industrial engineering, and systems engineering. For full details on M.Eng. degrees, see “MENG Degree Programs - EN ”.

Programs leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees are administered by the Graduate School. They are described in the Announcement of the Graduate School and the special announcement Graduate Study in Engineering and Applied Science.

Dual-Degree Program

The dual-degree program, intended for superior students, allows both a bachelor of science and either a bachelor of arts (B.A.) or bachelor of fine arts (B.F.A.) degree to be earned in about five years. Students registered in the College of Engineering, the College of Arts and Sciences, or the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning may apply and, after acceptance of their application, begin the dual-degree program in their second or third year. For information, contact the appropriate coordinators of dual-degree programs at 55 Goldwin Smith Hall (for Arts and Sciences), B-1 West Sibley Hall (for Architecture, Art, and Planning), and Engineering Advising, 167 Olin Hall.

Double Major in Engineering

The double-major option, which makes it possible to develop expertise in two allied engineering majors, generally requires at least one semester beyond the usual four years. Students affiliate with one major following normal procedures and then petition to enter a second major before the end of their junior year. All requirements of both majors must be satisfied. Further information is available from Engineering Advising, 167 Olin Hall, and the individual major offices.