Courses of Study 2022-2023 
    Jul 24, 2024  
Courses of Study 2022-2023 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Policies and Procedures

In the Nolan School of Hotel Administration .

Transfer Credit Policy

  1. Transfer students are required to complete all degree requirements with a minimum of 60 credits from Cornell University. Thus, a maximum of 60 hours in transfer credit for courses with a grade of ‘C’ or above, may be allowed from other accredited colleges or universities (including credits from advanced placement (AP) and study abroad programs):
  • Transfer credit is not awarded toward HADM Specialization Electives.
  • A maximum of 18 credits may transfer toward HADM Core required courses.
  • A maximum of 15 credits may transfer toward ARTS Distribution Electives.
  • A maximum of 21 credits may transfer toward Distribution Electives, and up to 3 credits may transfer toward First-Year Writing (FWS).
  • A maximum of 3 credits may transfer toward the Ethics Course requirement.
  • A maximum of 3 credits may transfer toward the Diversity & Inclusion course requirement.
  • A maximum of 8 credits may transfer toward Free Electives.
  1. Cornell University does not accept credit for courses sponsored by colleges but taught in the physical high school to high school students, even if the college provides a transcript of such work.
  2. Students who are currently accepted and enrolled at NSHA may only transfer in credit from accredited colleges or universities toward Distribution or Free Elective requirements. College pre-approval is required.
  3. Test credit (i.e. AP) is generally accepted toward Distribution Elective requirements, maximum 15 total credits.

Transfer Credit Process

The registrar of the school manages the transfer credit process in coordination with the faculty.

  1. For 1000- and 2000-level core and elective courses:
    1. Syllabus must cover, at minimum, 80 percent of the material covered in the Cornell/HADM course.
    2. Syllabus uses a standard textbook equivalent to that used in the Cornell/HADM course.
    3. Syllabus includes examinations, writing, projects, or other submitted work, produced individually or collectively, that is roughly as extensive as that required in the equivalent Cornell/HADM course.
    4. Syllabus indicates roughly equivalent meeting hours as are required in the equivalent Cornell/HADM course.
  2. The First-Year Writing Seminar (FWS) is waived for transfer students with two or more prior semesters at another school or university.  For those transfer students with one prior semester, previous writing coursework must be reviewed by the Knight Institute.
  3. 3000 and 4000 (upper) level HADM courses are not typically accepted.

Foreign Languages

Mastery of a foreign language is particularly desirable for students who are planning careers in the hospitality industry. Further information on foreign language courses at Cornell, and placement in language courses, may be found under “Language Study at Cornell ” and under “Advanced Placement & Advanced Standing .”

Special Studies and Research

Students may arrange a special studies project or research project in any academic area of the school under the direction of a resident Nolan School faculty member. Credit is arranged on an individual basis. To enroll in a special studies project, students must obtain written permission from the school before the semester add deadline. See HADM 4980 , HADM 4990 , HADM 6980 , or HADM 6990  for more details.

Practice Credit Requirement

As part of degree requirements, undergraduates enrolled in the Nolan School of Hotel Administration must fulfill the practice credit requirement and submit verification thereof. Further details are set forth in the Student Handbook for Undergraduates in the Nolan School of Hotel Administration.

Part-Time Study

Generally, part-time study is not allowed. Exceptions may be made for employee degree candidates, students who have medical reasons for a reduced schedule, or in other very extenuating circumstances. In no event shall a student be allowed to enroll on a part-time basis during the last semester of study. Further details on part-time study may be found in the school’s student handbook.

Grading System

Letter grades ranging from A+ to F are given to indicate academic performance in each course. These letter grades are assigned a numerical value for each semester average as follows: A is equivalent to 4.0; B to 3.0; C to 2.0; D to 1.0; and F to 0. For good standing, a student must maintain a minimum average of 2.0. A maximum of 4 credits each semester may be taken on a “satisfactory–unsatisfactory” (S–U) basis. Students should be aware that a satisfactory grade is equivalent to a C– or above and an unsatisfactory grade is equivalent to a D+ or lower.

Dean’s List Eligibility:

  • Satisfactory completion of at least 12 credits for a letter grade;
  • No U or F grades in the semester;
  • A semester GPA of 3.75 or better;
  • INC grades may be petitioned once the grade is changed. An INC in HADM 4970 (Honors Thesis) is excluded; and
  • If you satisfy these criteria, you will receive email notification from the Dean and a notation will be made on your official transcript.